FMEL in the media
Can antiviral agents help with immune systems fight mosquito-borne Dengue? Lourdes Mederos. South Dade Newsleader. http://www.southdadenewsleader.com/news/can-antiviral-agents-help-immune-systems-fight-mosquito-borne-dengue/article_9e4f04f0-5c4b-11ec-bb93-833c5b5c4ee2.html
Mosquitoes that spread Zika are becoming resistant to the pesticides targeting them. Kathy Grey, WGCU. https://news.wgcu.org/2021-03-17/mosquitoes-that-spread-zika-are-becoming-resistant-to-the-pesticides-targeting-them
The secret lives of mosquitoes, the world's most hated insects. Cypress Hansen, Smithsonian Voices. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2021/08/19/secret-life-worlds-most-hated-insect/
Scientist find new invasive mosquito species in Florida. Greg Allen, NPR. https://www.npr.org/2021/03/16/976598336/scientists-find-new-invasive-mosquito-species-in-florida
Click for more related invasive species articles
- New species of mosquito invades Florida. Fox 35 News Staff. Fox 35 Orlando.
- Invasive species of mosquito that could transmit diseases from animals to people found in Florida. Julia Jacovo, ABC News.
- Invasive mosquito species makes its way to the U.S.. Brian Niemietz, New York Daily News.
- A new mosquito is ready to invade Florida. What should people know? Lourdes Rodriguez, Naples Daily News.
- Disease-carrying mosquito species returns to Florida. Shawna Williams, The Scientist.
- For the first time in 75 years, a new invasive species of mosquito was found in Florida. Theresa Machemer, Smithsonianmag.com
- UF scientists discover new species of disease carrying mosquito in Florida. Alex Howard, NBC-2.com.
New mosquito species found in South Florida. It's an aggressive biter, of course. Adriana Brasileiro, Phys.org. https://phys.org/news/2021-02-mosquito-species-south-florida-aggressive.html
NPR Short Wave: Why mosquitoes bite you more than your friends. 9 minute podcast. Brit Hanson, NPR. https://www.npr.org/2020/09/09/911212751/micro-wave-why-mosquitoes-bite-you-more-than-your-friends
UF study shows mosquitoes bite manatees and may give viruses. Tyler Treadway, Treasure Cost Newspapers. https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/indian-river-lagoon/health/2020/08/31/uf-study-shows-mosquitoes-bite-manatees-may-give-them-viruses/5622518002/
Yellow fever, asian tiger mosquitoes, both adept at transmitting Zika. Infection Control Today. https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/yellow-fever-asian-tiger-mosquitoes-both-adept-transmitting-zika
Treasure coast scientist working to stop West Nile virus mosquitoes. Mike Winikoff, Hometown News. https://www.hometownnewstc.com/news/vero-beach-scientist-working-to-stop-west-nile-virus-mosquitoes/article_fa1e122e-e7b4-11ea-879b-6b7d69ae2f94.html
Study shows mosquitoes can spread diseases to manatees. Lourdes Rodriguez, Lake Okeechobee News. https://lakeokeechobeenews.com/community-news/ag-and-marine-industries-surveyed-about-pandemic-effects/
750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes are being released in Florida - Here's why. Korin Miller, Health. https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/genetically-engineered-mosquitoes?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article
Scientists fight disease-carrying mosquitoes by letting them feed off their blood. Elizabeth Landau, Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/mosquitoes-researchers-feeding-blood/2020/08/21/25f30252-c608-11ea-a99f-3bbdffb1af38_story.html